Saturday, July 25, 2009

Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

I have worn my hair 'natural' for a number of years. I did cornrows, twists and twist-outs making a 'textured' fro. All was good until my hair started breaking off. I kept it moisturized, scalp oiled etc and even consulted a few web sites on naturally 'nappy' hair without success. I live in an area where there are very few black women--and fewer of them have natural hair (they wear their hair relaxed). The climate is super dry. I am a doctor (in training) and need a neat professional carefree look for my natural hair. I am also very active--with biking, hiking and working out in th gym. I want to do more water sports, but ...I was considering locks--but noticed that Lauren Hill and Indya Ire (spelling?) had chopped their locks off. I am currently wearing braids with extensions--to try to grow without suffering from more breakage. I am desperate and do not want to have to result to a relaxer. Any ideas?



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

Climate has a lot to do with how healthy your hair will be and if you are involved in a lot of activities where sweating is involved you definately don't want to go with a relaxer or a weave, it will only make you have more to manage. You want to have a style that fits your lifestyle which is natural......... what you need to do is look for a good hydrating shampoo and conditioner and I recommend Biosilk hydrating shampoo and conditioner sold in smartstyle in walmarts salon or jcpennys. Also try nexxus shampoo and humectus conditioner. You can wash your hair as often as you need to but always put the moisture back into your hair with conditioners. You want to invest in these two professional shampoos which will last you a loooong time because you will have to use less of the product because they are professional verses a shampoo that is a little cheaper...... and I won't name any. You want to rotat these out every two months because the hair builds up an immunity(so to speak) over time from the same products and you want to maintain great results. Keep your ends trimmed every 6 weeks....Not a cut but a trim, and I know some stylist don't know the difference so good luck on finding someone to do that!! But keep a positive head that you will. Also get aphogee reconstructive treatment, you can find at Sallys. You use this treatment everysix weeks and it rebuilds your hair...... Trust if you had any shedding or breakage, one treatment with aphogee and it will not shead anymore..... but it last for six weeks. You sit under a hooded dryer with this and then rinse. If you want to do deep conditioning treatments in between your six weeks use the humectus, I use it on all of my clients and they love it, place a plastic cap on your head and sit under a warm dryer for 15 minutes and rinse, it leaves your hair feeling new....... It also serves as a reconstructer but it can be used more often than the aphogee. You won't regret these products. But as far as chemicals, I wouldn't get involved if I weren't already. Good Luck and best wishes for you and your lovely natural hair!!!



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

Black people's hair is different from others.



Do not use the same stuff the others in your neighborhood use.



You need more oil in your hair.



Just a fact.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

press out your hair and get a weave in a professional style so that you can just get up and go in the morning



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

try a weekly deep conditioning treatment.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

LOcks dont do ... try conditioning urs roots with coconut oil... and well when u wash ur hair .. try conditioning it for 15 min. it will softern the hair prevent breakage.. as well when combing hair .. try the ends ... first making it closer and closer the scalp



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

As with any hair style whether it be relaxed or natural, keeping your ends clipped and maintained is a must because some split-ends can lead to more split ends causing stress on the hair. It seems like everything else you are doing is correct with the moisturizing, but because natural hair has so much elasticity people tend to pull the hair in order to get the true length of hair. I remember when I was a little girl getting my hair cornrowed so tight I'd look Chinese... When I braid my daughters hair I would often have to do it while it was still damp because once the hair is dry it becomes brittle.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

Braids with or without extensions place stress on the roots of the hair. Over time the constant weight weakens and remove the hair follicle causing baldness. The extensions also sucks out the natural oils in the hair.



Until your hair repairs itself you're better off wearing your hair natural and as close to the scalp as possible. All black women are attractive with very short hair.



Use a mixture of Shea butter and cod liver or Castor oil on your scalp and refrain from combing through when wet or moist. Follicles are at their most fragile when wet/moist.



Light brushing or finger styling is good enough. It may take a few months but you will see positive results.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

How about a short style assuming you look good with ultra short hair. Keep your hair moisturized with a very good quality conditioner (Ojon is very good) and keep your naturally fragile hair in top condition.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

Yes, I've got an some ideas. First of all have all those split, broken ends cut off. Make sure you go to a stylist that has experience with ethnic hair. If they cut as little as 1/2 an inch it seems more like 2 or more inches! Maybe even a barber would be better for the cut. Ask if they will do a nice scissor over comb technique, without taking too much off. It depends on what length you want to keep it. Personally, I think the best thing for you and your situation is getting it cut into a nice tight afro, Not bald, but short %26amp; cropped. Again, a barber can do this well.



After you dealt with the split ends and breakage, you can consentrate on the scalp and the hair to moisturize. Keep your scalp as well as hair conditioned. Cocoa butter, coconut oil and even saffron oil [from the cooking oil section] is great as a conditioner. You can mix a tablespoon of each and put it you your scalp and hair after a shampoo, Put a plastic cap on and wrap it in a warm towel. Watch a 1/2 hr. TV program, then rinse really well. Your hair should feel soft and supple. Don't do a thing to it other than towel dry. Enjoy this new feel and new cut and celebrate all that it is that makes ALL women of color BEAUTIFUL!



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

Have you tried vegetable glycerin? You'll have to dilute it a lot if the climate is as dry as you say, but it should be a servicable humectant.



As far as styling, I think that a closely cropped 'fro would strike a nice balance between professionalism and practicality. Personally, I would strongly discourage the use of a relaxer. For both aesthetic and sociohistorical reasons, I tend to consider straightening kinky hair a minor tragedy.



Help me with my natural 'ethnic' black hair...?

I agree with the other hairdresser who suggested scissor over comb and cropping it short. NOTHING is more sexy than a woman of colour wearing her hair gelled into those beautiful finger waves! I don't care if your petite or not. It is an incredibly classy and professional look. The braids are beautiful, but they still put traction on the hair and promote breakage. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment