Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is there are reason why women with natural hair are proselytizing about it?

I used to have braids. I've looked for advice from friends and salons who are supposed experts in natural hair. This has left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't think about my hair much before. I don't think it's normal to tie it so deeply with ones identity. I just want it neat and out of my way with minimal effort on my part, but alas, it hurt my hair line.



Since going natural, I've essentially been accused of being self-hating for getting braids while also being told that I look like a "pickaninny" and that I have "slave hair," all from women who are very preachy about having natural hair, all who tried to do my hair in vain. In this time that I've been trying to find something that works for me, I've spent a lot less time reading.



I have NO interest in become part of the "hair wars" but the whole mind set that SOME people have about this is counterproductive.



I will also note that I'm a vegan and I find this same mindset in that community as well. I hate it there too.



Is there are reason why women with natural hair are proselytizing about it?

well the truth is that some people are just ignorant and they don't really think about what they're saying (verbal diarrhea...lol)



deciding to refrain from putting any kind of chemical or perm in ur hair is probably the best thing you can do for your hair. it's more healthy and i think you can do more with it and it's not going to break every second!



i suggest you check out some salons that say they specialize in African Braiding.....they can do wonders for ur hair no matter how thick or bushy it is. also you should be able to hot comb it if you feel like going straight for a while....and it's not going to damage ur hair since it's not permed. good luck!



Is there are reason why women with natural hair are proselytizing about it?

It is a shame that people have to so closely tie their identity into something like hair. I have to admit that I do it to a certain extent. It sounds like you are a pretty self confident person and that you don't take rude people's comments personally or seriously. Just keep on doing what you feel comfortable with and forget about the rest. Maybe deep down they wish they had the guts to go "natural"!

No comments:

Post a Comment