Thursday, July 23, 2009

Natural to relaxed hair?

I relaxed my hair for many years. I have now worn it natural for 2 years. I love my natural hair, but I am thinking about going back to a relaxer. Can I expect the texture of my hair to be different from before? I have heard that my hair will be different. Any experiences with this?



Natural to relaxed hair?

Im a stylist and ive done relaxers for many years and i have never seen anything different happen to hair when it hasnt been relaxed for a while the only thing that you want to watch out for is that if your ends still have relaxer on them you want to try not to overlap them because you dont want them to be to dry and break good luck



Natural to relaxed hair?

Hi. Why did you go natural? And since you love your natural hair, why do you want to go back ? Relaxers are chemicals, and they will damage your hair in the short or long run. From experience, your hair will definitely be different. When I was 14, I got my first perm. I saw girls with straight hair and wanted to be like them. My hair was big and poofy and I thought it was ugly. My sister's friend did it for me. I thought she was good because she was learning to be a stylist. Boy was I wrong. Not only did she use the super strength relaxer and it fell out in the back, but she also put my hair in a french roll to hide what she did!



When it was time to wash my hair, I was so shocked and cried. I went natural and grew out my hair using braids. Then I backslid and relaxed it a few years later. My hair was long, but very thin, dry and dull. I was pretty much in denial until I decided not to go through the pain of scalp burns, spending full 8 hr shifts at the hair salon, running away from rain, and embarrassing hair on my clothes that broke off. This was in 2001. Ive been natural for 6 years now. I recently flat ironed my hair for Easter sunday and its 5 inches from my waist, nice, full, bouncy, natural shine, and healthy.



I chose not to do relaxers again because of all the pain Ive had. My hair is a treasure. And when anyone, man, woman, or child goes through hair woes and problems, it affects their whole personality. They are missing a part of themself, especially if they experience hair loss and balding.



I cant change your mind, but think of those questions. Here are some websites to check out before going back to relaxed:



www.motowngirl.com - natural hair care



www.nappturality.com - natural hair forum and support



If you do go back relaxed, here is some info:



www.growafrohairlong.com - natural, relaxed, and braid care



www.longhaircareforum.com - hair forum for naturals and relaxed, but mostly relaxed Ive seen.



For my hair, relaxers were not a healthy option. But there are people whose hair is long and relaxed. So its a decision on your part. If relaxing caused problems like mine, then I wouldnt suggest you do it. If nothing was wrong and you wanted a change, then it should be safe.



Even better, you can use a flat iron if you want your hair straight (dont forget to use a heat protectant), but dont do it all the time or else it WILL irreplacably damage your hair. Hope this helps. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment