Monday, July 27, 2009

I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

Everyone says that your hair is going to fall out if you've had a relaxer, and then you don't relax the new growth. i wanted to know is this clinically proven, or is it just a myth? I want to go natural but i don't want to cut my relaxed hair, so instead i was thinking that i could just straighten my natural hair with a regualr straightening iron. My friend does that and she hasn't had a perm in almost a year, and her hair seems fine.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

Just a myth. I'm assuming since you have a relaxer you have "kinky/coarse" african american type hair. A relaxer permantely straightens curly hair by stripping off the protective layers of the hair shaft, and altering it's "chemical structure". African American hair is already dry; the curlier it ANY human hair is- the dryer it is, because for some reason it's able to hold less moisture. When the relaxer strips off the protective layer, it takes away any moisture in it as well. This is what cause breakage.



The only that can bond with damaged hair to repair it (restructure and re-seal the shaft), is protein.



So whether your hair is relaxed or natural you need to do protein treatments at lest once a week or once every 2 weeks; then find a good moisturizer, and make sure to keep hair moistened. This should help your hair stay healthy, and help prevent breakage.



I had a relaxer about 3 or 4 years ago. I decided to go natural and grew my hair out. Eventually the relaxed ands will need to be cut off, or else your hair will be two different textures, and a lot harder to style. My hair started out about chin length when straightened, and now with proper care, is about 3 or 4 inches below my collarbone.



But as long as you do deep conditioning protein treatments- (the kind of deep conditioners that you sit under the hair dryer with. read the label; look for protein.) , and keep your hair well moisturized daily, it will stay healthy and strong.



If you don't have a dome hair dryer( the kind you sit under), you can get one from Conair for about $30 bucks at KMart. I got mine from there 3 years ago, and it still works perfectly. And when you deep condition make sure to but a plastic cap on your head to help hold in the heat.



And also try to limit the amount of curling iron, blow dryer, or flat iron heat you use on your hair. this is almost as damaging as a relaxer because it sucks the moisture from your hair. If you do use a blow dryer (hand held-not dome), try and get an ionic one. They work by converting the water molecules or something to dry it but leave the moisture- i'm not entirely sure how it works but if you look it up on wikipedia, I'm sure you can find out. Anyway use that, and ceramic flat and curling irons, as they are also less damaging then metal ones.



Here are some websites that I use to learn about caring for african american hair:



www.naturallycurly.com



www.ubh.com (it's called ultra black hair)



Ps- if you do protein treatments, you don't need to trim your ends every two weeks. if you do, then you'll never be able to have any length. As i said, protein treatments repair hair and split ends, and you'd only have to trim it maybe 3 times a year if you take care of it well enough.



Make sure you check out those websites. they'll explain it to you.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

it is real but not all of your fall down only some of your hair



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

i would wash , flat iron, n get my end clips datz wat i do



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

If anything, the chemical in relaxer will make it fall out, not stopping using relaxer. Hair is dead... whatever portion is already relaxed has no bearing on new growth. You could try doing that but you might get frustrated trying to straighten it, and heat daily is very damaging.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

a myth. that is ok if u don't use it everyday for years.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

No your hair is not going to fall out from letting it grow. Just make you clip your ends as often as possible. I would recommend getting a short cut and starting over. You wont be the first or the last. The reason they probably dont agree with it is just because it will look really bad til you eventually get it cut off.



But you can keep straightening it, just be careful and use plenty of heat protectant products, because heat damages your hair too.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

No, it won't. My mom did it, and she has a press now. Just trim it out little by little and keep it healthy. Flat iron your new growth instead of relaxing it.



I want to go natural, will my hair fall out?!?

Going natural is a hard process when you don't want to cut your relaxed ends off. It is true that your relaxed hair will break off. What happens is that the line of demarcation (where your hair goes from being natural to relaxed) gets weak and it breaks off at that point. What you could do to grow out your relaxer is get your hair pressed every two weeks and get your ends trimmed ever 6-8 weeks depending on your hair growth and just let the relaxer grow out that way. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment