Thursday, July 23, 2009

Transitioning to natural (african american) hair?

I am in the process of transitioning to natural hair. Okay, I have not permed my hair since the summer of '07. I have been wearing my hair in braids and a couple of months ago I took down my braids and noticed that my hair has gotten really tangled, and I cut alot of my permed ends off. My hair is now to the end of my neck and I put a straw set in my hair. I just wanted to know how do you maintain a straw set. I would also like some tips on transitioning to natural hair as well.



Transitioning to natural (african american) hair?

Hi. I am a natural black woman so feel free to email me if you have more questions.



Anyway, the best way to maintain a straw set is to sleep with a satin bonnet on your hair. When I had them, I would sleep like that, shake them out in the morning, and just go. They last for about 2 weeks like that. Also, use a shower cap so you don't get your hair wet.



As for transitioning tips, as long as you keep the relaxed hair you will notice a lot of breakage. The point where the relaxed and natural hair meet is very weak. I recommend deep conditioning weekly and doing a hot oil treatment monthly.



Also, never comb natural hair when it is dry. That too can cause some issues. Comb through your hair with a wide tooth comb while it is saturated with conditioner. That will prevent breakage and damage.



Let me know if you want to know anything else!!

No comments:

Post a Comment